S & J Nursery's
Agapanthus 'Peter Pan'
(Agapanthus Africanus 'Peter Pan')
Agapanthus 'Peter Pan' / Lily of the Nile Origins:
There are several species of Agapanthus available on the market today and because
Lily of the Nile plants hybridize so readily, there are many, many varieties available within those species. All
Agapanthus species are native to South Africa.
- Peter Pan is a hard to find selection grown here at S & J
Nursery for the North Florida landscape, and is grown for its compact dwarf habit and non stop blooming!
Excellent for edging beds and borders where other Agapanthus selections would just get to large.
Agapanthus Africanus 'Peter Pan' / Lily of the Nile Preferred Exposure:
- Full sun to partial shade in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area
landscape. Agapanthus does well in full sun as long as it is planted into an irrigated landscape. If your garden
is extremely sandy and dry consider planting it in a location that will receive some relief from North Florida's
hot sun. They can be planted in filtered light under taller trees or in areas that receive partial sun and
partial shade, but use caution as too much shade can lead to reduced flowering.
Agapanthus Africanus 'Peter Pan' / Lily of the Nile Foliage:
- Compact foliage of the Agapanthus Africanus 'Peter Pan' has thin strap like
foliage that remains evergreen during the winter in our North Florida area gardens.
Agapanthus Africanus 'Peter Pan' / Lily of the Nile Soil Preference / Salt
- Agapanthus Africanus / Lily of the Nile is tolerant of a wide range of soil
components and growing conditions. Although quite drought tolerant once established in the landscape be sure
supplemental irrigation is available particularly when planted into a full sun location in well draining or
- Agapanthus will tolerate wet soils for prolonged periods and can be planted into
poorly draining garden sites in our North Florida landscapes.
- Moderately salt tolerant.
Agapanthus Africanus 'Peter Pan' / Lily of the Nile Size Variance:
- Sightly larger than traditional Agapanthus Africanus the Storm Cloud Agapanthus
foliage will reach 8-12 inches high and wide with the flower stalks rising only just above the foliage at 1 1/2
Agapanthus Africanus 'Peter Pan' / Lily of the Nile Growth Habit:
- Evergreen, clumping grass like perennial forms an attractive mound of foliage.
- Plants will need dug and divided every 5 or 6 years for best flowering.
Agapanthus Africanus 'Peter Pan' / Lily of the Nile Growth Rate:
- Moderate growing Agapanthus selection.
Agapanthus Africanus 'Peter Pan' / Lily of the Nile Bloom:
- 'Peter Pan' Agapanthus was selected and propagated for its dwarf habit and non
stop bloom. These light blue blooms may be smaller than their full fixed plant relatives but what they lack in
size they make up for in quantity. Agapanthus Africanus 'Peter Pan' doesn't just bloom in the hot summer
months it will bloom intermittently throughout the year!
- When doing a fact check for this page on agapanthus I came across an older
gardening book that listed Agapanthus blooms as cutting garden material with a note to dip the stems in boiling
water for 15 seconds before placing them into your water vase for display. I haven't tried it yet but I cant
wait for them to bloom so I can give it a try, I'll let you know if it works!
Agapanthus Africanus 'Peter Pan' / Lily of the Nile Water Requirements:
- Although drought tolerant once established in the landscape, regular water is
necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from a nursery
container. Use supplemental irrigation when planted in full sun or in extremely sandy soil.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- Agapanthus Africanus / Lily of the Nile blooms will attract hummingbirds and
butterfly's to your garden to feed on the nectar produced by the flowers.
Best Uses For 'Peter Pan' Agapanthus / Lily of the Nile:
- Agapanthus is a great easy care low maintenance addition to just about any
landscape. Agapanthus blend perfectly into traditional formal landscapes and make a perfect last layer when
stepping plants down for foundation planting around a home or office. They also are right at home in the middle
of a perennial bed and blend beautifully into any Cottage or English garden setting.
- Lily of the Nile make an excellent potted plant accent for the front of a home
entryway or patio.
- Excellent pool side planting, in ground or containers.
- Perfect in masses under larger trees or landscape specimen plants that you want to
draw attention to.
- Plant Agapanthus along entryway or garden paths for a gorgeous edging whether in
bloom or not, just the foliage itself adds a lush feel to the gardens landscape
- Although touted to be among the best perennial selections for deer resistance, any
agapanthus grower in the Julington Creek Plantation are of South Jacksonville may beg to differ, with the land
being so quickly developed into subdivisions replacing that have replaced the heavily forested area with
suburban lawns and landscapes in St. Johns county, the deer there seem to have taken quite a liking to them,
particularly during the winter months so...who knows, maybe deer resistant but not deer proof! :)
Care of Agapanthus 'Peter Pan' / Lily of the Nile:
- Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
-They will need good water during the establishment period and supplemental
irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers, particularly when planted into sandy soils.
- As with all perennial plantings, amending the soil with compost when planting your
agapanthus plants will help keep them healthy and happy through the years.
- Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite or Green Edge Fertilizer and a slow
release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose
plant food or 10-10-10.
Check out these links to other great S & J
Agapanthus / Lily of the Nile
Agapanthus " Blue Heaven"
Agapanthus Black Drooping
Agapanthus Ella Mae
Agapanthus Storm Cloud
Agapanthus White Heaven
Want more Agapanthus info? Check out this link
North Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area Agapanthus
for other cultivars that do great in our area from S &