S & J Nursery's Colocasia
Esculenta 'Tea Cup'
( Elephant Ear ' Tea Cup' )
Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup' Origins:
- Who sails Art for the garden has to come in the form of statues, birdbaths
or sundials? Colocasia Esculenta ' Tea Cup' has a striking form sure to catch the eye and delight anyone who
- Unusual form and habit for a Colocasia plant, unlike other Colocasia or
Elephant Ear plants available at S & J Nursery, this selection will hold their foliage inverted and
upright forming a little cup where the stem meets the leaves, as rain fills the " Tea Cup" they will begin to
droop over under the weight and pour out the water!!! Colocasia Tea Cup is the perfect conversation piece for
your garden loving friends.
- Planting these well behaved modern cultivars of Colocasia that fit
perfectly into todays gardens will add bold tropical foliage for eye catching potted displays, water
gardens or traditional garden settings and mixed perennial borders.
Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup' Preferred Exposure:
- Plant Colocasia in a full sun to shade in the North Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape. Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup'' does well in full sun
as long as it is planted into a moist site or submerged as a garden pond plant. If your garden is
extremely sandy and dry consider planting it in a location that will receive some relief from North
Florida's hot sun.
Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup' Foliage:
- Stunning upright foliage is an olive green color with deep purple veins that
is particularly showy in a sunny spot in the garden as the veining shows well when the sun lights up the
foliage. Adds great color and texture to the North Florida Jacksonville and St. Augustine Florida garden.
- Foliage may remain evergreen during the winter in our North Florida
area gardens, but can go dormant and come back up the following spring depending on winter conditions and
- Colocasia plants are considered an evergreen perennial tuberous
Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup' Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup' is tolerant of a wide range of soil
components and growing conditions, although they will be most at home with adequate moisture.
- Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup' will tolerate wet soils for prolonged
periods and can be planted into poorly draining garden sites in our North Florida landscapes.
- Can be planted into pots and submerged as pond plants for water
- Salt tolerance unknown.
Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup' Size Variance:
- The foliage on the Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup' plant will
reach 4 -6 ft high and 3 ft wide.
Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup' Growth Habit:
- Evergreen, clumping perennial herb forms an attractive, upright mound
of tropical looking foliage.
Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup' Growth Rate:
- Fast, particularly in the rainy and hot summer months.
Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup' Water Requirements:
- Although much more durable once established in the landscape, regular water is
necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from an S & J
Nursery container. Use supplimental irrigation when planted in full sun or in extremely sandy soil.
Best Uses For Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup' in the Jacksonville | St.
Augustine Area Landscapes :
- Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup' is a great easy care low maintenance addition
to just about any landscape. Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup' Elephant Ear plants will blend
perfectly into traditional formal landscapes or tropical gardens. Colocasia also are right at home in the
middle of a perennial bed and blend beautifully into any Cottage garden setting.
- Colocasia make an excellent potted plant accent for the pool or
- Excellent pond side planting, in ground or containered.
- Perfect in masses under larger trees or landscape specimens for added
attraction to any landscape setting, near a seating wall, water feature, bird bath or park bench, etc.
Care of Colocasia Esculenta 'Tea Cup':
- Low care landscape pant selection.
- Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
- Elephant Ear plants will need good water during the establishment period
and supplemental irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers, especially when planted into
- As with all perennial plantings, amending the soil with compost when planting
your Colocasia plants will help keep them healthy and happy through the years.
- Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite or Green Edge Fertilizer and a slow
release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose
plant food or 10-10-10.
Check out these links to other great
Colocasia selections available at S & J
Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Black
Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye'
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian Hilo Bay
Colocasia Maui Gold
Colocasia esculenta Mojito
Colocasia 'Tea Cup'
Colocasia Varieties Main Page
Navigate to Alocasia
Varieties Main Page
Click here for more information on Colocasia Esculenta Tea Cup
from Agri Starts plant propagation
Click this link to return to
Tropical / Exotic/
Unusual Plants for Northeast Florida