S & J Nursery's Guide to
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian
( Colocasia 'Hilo Bay' )
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' Origins:
- These modern versions of the tropical Asian Elephant Ears are every bit as
beautiful as their rampantly naturalizing predecessors but with ought all the headache to keep them in bounds in
- Planting these well behaved modern cultivars of Colocasia that fit perfectly
into todays gardens will add bold tropical foliage for eye catching potted displays, water gardens or
traditional garden settings and mixed perennial borders.
- Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' is a recent introduction from the "Royal
Hawaiian Series" of Elephant Ear plants bred with disease resistant foliage and nice tidy clumping habits.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' Preferred Exposure:
- Plant Colocasia in a partial sun to shade in the North Florida | Jacksonville |
St. Augustine area landscape. Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' does well in full sun as long as it is planted
into a moist site or submerged as a garden pond plant. If your garden is extremely sandy and dry consider
planting it in a location that will receive some relief from North Florida's hot sun.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' Foliage:
- Stunning foliage of large, thick, glossy, heart shaped leaves with an olive green
color add dramatic bold foliage to the garden. Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' has a crinkled or heavily
textured foliage with slightly upturned edges that can grow up to 20 inches in length and has a deep dark purple
stem to add interest especially when planting in an above ground container where stalks will be more
- Foliage may remain evergreen during the winter in our North Florida area
gardens, but can go dormant and come back up the following spring depending on winter conditions and
- They are considered an evergreen perennial tuberous herb.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' is tolerant of a wide range of soil components
and growing conditions, although they will be most at home with adequate moisture.
- Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' will tolerate wet soils for prolonged
periods and can be planted into poorly draining garden sites in our North Florida landscapes.
- Can be planted into pots and submerged as pond plants for water gardens.
- Salt tolerance unknown.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' Size Variance:
- The foliage on the Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' plant will reach 4 ft high
and 2-3 ft wide.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' Growth Habit:
- Evergreen, clumping perennial herb forms an attractive, upright mound of tropical
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' Growth Rate:
- Fast growing Colocasia Royal Hawaiian selection.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' Bloom:
- Huge blooms of Colocasia Esculenta are similar in appearance to Calla Lilies and
are rarely seen even on well established plant and are a stunning creamy white.
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' Water Requirements:
- Although much more durable once established in the landscape, regular water is
necessary to get the plant rooted and growing on its own after being planted in the ground from an S & J
Nursery container. Use supplimental irrigation when planted in full sun or in extremely sandy soil.
Best Uses For Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' in the Jacksonville | St.
Augustine Area Landscapes :
- Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay' is a great easy care low maintenance addition
to just about any landscape. Hilo Bay Elephant Ear plants will blend perfectly into traditional formal
landscapes or tropical gardens. Colocasia also are right at home in the middle of a perennial bed and blend
beautifully into any Cottage garden setting.
- Colocasia make an excellent potted plant accent for the pool or patio
- Excellent pond side planting, in ground or containered.
- Perfect in masses under larger trees or landscape specimens for added
attraction to any landscape setting, near a seating wall, water feature, bird bath or park bench, etc.
Care of Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Hilo Bay':
- Low care landscape pant selection.
- Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
- Elephant Ear plants will need good water during the establishment period and
supplemental irrigation during dry spells or particularly hot dry summers, especially when planted into sandy
- As with all perennial plantings, amending the soil with compost when planting your
Colocasia plants will help keep them healthy and happy through the years.
- Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
or Green Edge Fertilizer and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general
purpose plant food or 10-10-10.
Check out these links to other great
Colocasia selections available at S & J
Colocasia Dragon Heart Gigante
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian 'Black
Colocasia 'Hawaiian Eye'
Colocasia Royal Hawaiian Hilo Bay
Colocasia Maui Gold
Colocasia esculenta Mojito
Colocasia 'Tea Cup'
Colocasia Varieties Main Page
Navigate to Alocasia
Varieties Main Page
Click this link to return to
Tropical / Exotic/
Unusual Plants for Northeast Florida