S & J Nursery's
'Belindas Dream Rose'
for Northeast Florida Gardens
Belindas Dream Rose Mutabilis Origins:
Every year I fall in love with my Belindas Dream roses all over again. Each year in
early spring I trim them back only to be blown away in just a few weeks with beautiful green foliage and loads
of absolutely huge fragrant blooms. I am not what you would call a rosarian, I like roses that can take some
abuse and keep on looking like I know what I'm doing, and Belinda's Dream performs like a champ year after
I normally steer very clear of those pretty hybrid tea roses at the
big box stores each spring, knowing that it's only a matter of time before I will have to rip them out
and replace them with something else. ( Usually just after the second year in the landscape) And although
Belindas dream is a cross between Tiffany and Jersey Beauty, this new rose is as tough as any heirloom
shrub rose I have growing in my garden. It is a floribunda rose that is so tough, it is used as an own
root rose here in Northeast Florida and grown right on its own roots rather than having to be grafted onto
another more disease resistant rootstock.
'Belindas Dream' is both disease and root knot nematode resistant! I don't know how
they did it, but this rose keeps alive the hope that there may be more great roses like 'Belindas
Dream' coming in the future for us Floridian gardeners! And thank you Belinda, this rose is everything I could
have dreamed for too.
Belindas Dream Rose Preferred Exposure:
- Full sun, roses will need 6-8 hours of direct sunlight to bloom and perform best
in the North Florida/ Jacksonville / St. Augustine area.
Belindas Dream Rose Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- Plant Belindas Dream Rose roses in North Florida in
just about any well draining soil. Add a healthy shovel full of compost or cow manure to the planting hole when
you dig and you'll love the extra help it gives you as you establish the rose in your gardens landscape.
Belindas Dream Rose Size Variance:
- These pretty, and disease resistant plants can reach heights of 3-6 ft and
get around 3-4 ft wide. I manage to keep mine in the 3-4 ft range with a simple annual pruning in spring, or if
I don't get around to it early enough, in the summer!
Belindas Dream Rose Growth Habit:
- Upright form lends itself well to hedge rows or for use as a centerpiece in the
garden along a walkway or tucked away into the flower border.
Belindas Dream Rose Growth Rate:
- Fairly fast growing rose, expect it to be double the size it was when you planted
it by the same time the following year when planted into a Jacksonville | St. Augustine or other areas of
Northeast Florida landscape.
Belindas Dream Rose Bloom:
- Oh, you just have to see them to believe them, they are huge, they fill up my
whole hand and then some, fragrant and the prettiest shade of pink.
Belindas Dream Rose Water Requirements:
- Water daily to establish into the landscape and use supplemental irrigation twice
a week after that for best results in the landscape when not receiving regular rainfall.
Best Uses For Belindas Dream Rose :
- Excellent when planted as a single specimen in a perennial border for a cottage
garden appearance or when planted in masses for a non stop blooming hedge.
Care of Butterfly Rose / Rosa Mutabilis Rose :
- Butterfly Rose / Rosa Mutabilis can certainly be treated like a fussy hybrid tea
rose, but why bother? This hardy own root China rose will thrive with little maintenance on your part. A once or
twice a year pruning will keep it in bound and full of foliage. Mutabilis roses bloom heavily and will need a
good dose of general purpose fertilizer in spring summer and fall to help them keep on putting out those
- Amend the planting hole well with compost or composted cow manure when installing
roses into the landscape.
- Water every day during the establishment period. See watering your newly planted
items for more information.
- They will need good water during the establishment period and bi-weekly
supplemental irrigation particularly in periods of low rainfall.
- Add compost or cow manure yearly as a surface treatment pulling back the
mulch and spreading it around under the foliage of the plant on top of the existing soil. don't forget to
remulch around the plants to help them stay cool and help them to retain moisture in our hot sunny North Florida
- Plants respond well to a mixture of rose food and Milorganite each spring and
again in mid summer, sprinkling the fertilizer around the mulch circle underneath the foliage of the plant.
Click here to open a new window for more information
Try these other great Shrub Roses available at S & J
Tree Farm and Nursery
for North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine area
Butterfly Rose Mutabilis
Caldwell Pink Rose Pink Pet
Apricot Drift Rose '
Coral Drift Rose 'Meidrifora'
Peach Drift Rose ' Meiggili'
Pink Drift Rose 'Meijocos'
Popcorn Drift Rose
Drift Rose Double Pink Sweet
Red Drift Rose 'Meigalpio'
Knockout Rose Blush
Knockout Rose Pink
Knockout Rose Yellow
Knockout Rose White
Knockout Rose Double Red
Knockout Rose Double
The Fairy Rose for
Northeast Florida Gardens