S & J Nursery's Guide to Growing
Stokes Aster in Northeast Florida
( Stokesia laevis Good-N-Purple )
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Exposure:
- Stokes Asters will prefer a full sun or lightly shaded exposure in the North
Florida | Jacksonville| St. Augustine area landscape.
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Foliage:
- Compact mounds of deep dark green leathery tufts of foliage remain evergreen in
our North Florida gardens.
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- While not particular of soil components, Stokesia Good-N-Purple will need good
drainage and will thrive in any well drained soil.
- Salt tolerance unknown.
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Size Variance:
- Stokesia Good-N-Purple stays low and only reaches 12-24 inches tall even with the
flowering stalks rising high above the foliage. White Surprise will form a clump of foliage 18 inches wide.
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Growth Habit:
- Evergreen, clumping almost grass like perennial forms an attractive compact mound
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Growth Rate:
- Stokesia is a moderate grower and can be expected to almost reach its full size
within the second or third season after planting from a nursery container.
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Bloom:
- Stokesia Laevis Good-N-Purple has strikingly large blooms for such a compact
little plant. Clusters of 3-4 inch wide bright purple blossoms are held upright on thick stems above the foliage
of the plant in summer and into fall in the North Florida | Jacksonville| St. Augustine area garden.
Stokesia Good-N-Purple Water Requirements:
- Water daily for 2-3 weeks after planting and weekly during hot dry summers for
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- Stokes Asters in bloom bring loads of butterflies to the garden.
Best Uses For Stokesia Laevis Good-N-Purple in the North Florida | Jacksonville |
St. Augustine area garden:
- Stokesia is an excellent perennial selection for the North Florida | Jacksonville
| St. Augustine area landscape. Low maintenance, compact form and lots of color make it a garden staple that
everyone should find a place for in the garden. Its one of my personal favorites and I know you will love it
- Plant in masses around a bird bath or other accent for a low maintenance yet
beautiful display of blooms.
- Plant along the edge of a walkway or path for an added pop of color to lead you on
- Excellent front of the border planting for an instant cottage garden feel.
Care of Stokesia Good-N-Purple in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
- Dig and divide plant every few years for best results.
- Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container. And at least weekly during hot dry summer months.
- Prune out old foliage each spring or as needed any time of the year to maintain
plants tidy appearance.
- Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or
Fall in love with Stokes Aster?
Check out these other Stokesia selections....
Stokesia Klaus Jelitto
Stokesia White Surprise
Laevis Blue Stokes Aster
Stokesia Mary Gregory Yellow