S & J Nursery's White Fountain Grass
( Pennisetum Setaceum )
White Fountain Grass Origins:
- These boldly colored ornamental grasses belong to the Pennisetum Setaceum
classification that originate in the tropical African areas, southwestern Asia and the Arabian Peninsula.
White Fountain Grass Preferred Exposure:
- White Fountain Grass will prefer a full sun location in the North Florida |
Jacksonville | St. Augustine area landscape.
White Fountain Grass Foliage:
- Thin foliage is a light green and has a delicate texture.
- Herbaceous ornamental grass plant in the North Florida landscape. When
planted farther south into St. Augustine area these plants may remain reliably evergreen in the winter
White Fountain Grass Soil Preference / Salt tolerance:
- White Fountain Ornamental Grass Pennisetum Setaceum will tolerate a wide
range of soil components providing the soil is well drained.
- Salt tolerance is unknown, have it successfully growing at seaside, let us
White Fountain Grass Size Variance:
- Pennisetum Setaceum can be expected to reach 3-4 ft in height and 2 ft
White Fountain Grass Growth Habit:
- Evergreen, upright, clumping habit of White Fountain Grass forms an attractive
dense mound of fine textured foliage that tends to droop over toward the top third portion of the plant,
much resembling a fountain, giving it its common name.
White Fountain Grass Growth Rate:
- White Fountain Grass is a fairly fast grower, expect them to reach their full size
the first season after planting and regrow quickly the following season from the ground.
White Fountain Grass Bloom:
- White Fountain Grass has rather showy slightly pinkish colored bloom that
appears white in the sunlight, plants bloom in late summer to the first frost. Inflorescence may reach 12 inches
in length and can be used in cut flower arrangements.
White Fountain Grass Water Requirements:
- Low water needs make White Fountain Grass ideal for Xeroscapes plantings as they
are relatively drought tolerant once established into the landscape.
- White Fountain Grass plants will require supplemental irrigation after being
planted in the ground from the S & J Nursery container but will survive on their own with little help after
establishing itself into the landscape.
Butterfly or Bird Attracting:
- White Fountain Grass is not touted as a butterfly or bird attracting plant. .
Best Uses For White Fountain Grass in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area garden:
- They are an ideal landscape plant for low maintenance, low water, low trim
- Plant in masses around a bird bath, palm, or other accent for a little added color
and texture in the garden.
- White Fountain Grass makes a great stand alone potted accent plant for patios and
- Not recommended for planting near naturalized areas or wooded lots, plants
tend to reseed themselves nearby the original planting and can be problematic except when kept in residential
Care of White Fountain Grass in the North Florida | Jacksonville | St. Augustine
- When planted in the more Northern portion of our North Florida | Jacksonville |
St. Augustine area, Pennisetum Setaceum will require trimming the foliage off at ground level each
spring when fertilizing for best results.
- Water every day during the establishment period after planting in the garden from
a nursery container.
- Fertilize each spring with a handful of garden compost or a mixture of Milorganite
and a slow release poly coated plant food such as Osmocote or Stay Green general purpose plant food or
Click this link for more information
on White Fountain Grass / Pennisetum Setaceum for the North
Florida | Jacksonville | St.
Augustine area landscape.